Saturday, May 23, 2009

Fulham

If your wondering what a Fulham is exactly, its the part of  London I grew up in, and its where most of my family still live. 

For some reason while surfing the good old internet I found myself looking up pictures of my home town and was surprised to find so many out there. There are many pictures that a football related because Chelsea FC have their grounds there, but there were loads just of the area. So many memories came flooding back, most of them good but some of it sad.

Fulham is very old and has a lot of history, looking at the pictures now it seems all that is being lost.  :(


This is the old Gas works near my Dads house, now mainly a natural gas storage center. Don't worry, its not full of toxic waste and has almost nothing to do with my X-men like mutant powers.


Just over the road is the 'Gas Works' restaurant, never seen it open in my life. Its owned by some old but very rich odd-ball types. They just drink there and hang out with other rich odd-ball types.


This is where I got my first Tattoo, its your typical 'I want that one' off the wall tattoo parlor. Nothing special about the place, but its where my inky obsession started....Mum was not pleased when I came home from this place.


Great old Art Deco style building on North End Road which is a big shopping street. Its always been a McD's in my life time. Many Big Macs have been eaten there, my Nan always took me there on a Saturday.  :)


This is a Pub called 'The Cock & Hen", it was called 'The Cock' but had a name change a year or so ago for obvious reasons. Fee still giggles about the story she read in the local paper that said "Local man gets stabbed in The Cock!"  :P



This has always been a Pub, the building is so grand and detailed. Its a shame somebody with no taste chose the colour pallet.  :/


This is the old Fulham Broadway Tube station. Again, this is such an old and pretty building....that's now a TGI Friday's. Thanks progress!


Another building that was amazing in its day, this was a grand looking bank until it became a 24h mini mart.


Mmmmmm....this place has been there since before I was born, and my Dad says the inside has not changed at all. I hope the oil has tho?!



Me and Fee once went into this 'Oddbins' (off-licence/ Liquor store) and brought a bottle of 'Mystery Wine'....it should have stayed a mystery!


This was an old show hall back in the good old days, you can just make out the dome sky light on the left. It's now a  'Mecca Bingo Hall' of all things, but my Nan's not complaining.


Awwwww, Dinos. this is where me and my brother would go get our hair cut when we were younger. My brother once went in wanting his hair to look like the singer from the boy band 'Bros'....things did not go well.


Some old world gems can still be found in Fulham.

It's not until you have been away from home for a while that you notice how things have changed. Not to say change is a bad thing, but I just wish Fulham could hold onto what great buildings it has, and not turn them into KFC's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment